Nursery Trim Wall

Monday, April 27, 2020



We are in love with how our trim wall turned out in the nursery! It's definitely not a job for a beginner  (Nico says it's a 6/10 on the difficulty scale) but if you are interested in doing the same thing to your room, here are the step by step instructions! This blog post was written by my husband and I hope it helps you! If you have any questions you can message me on Instagram @chapel.hill.farmhouse or comment below!

Tools used: 
-Tape Measurer
-Level
-Miter saw (or circular saw)
-Nail gun
-Caulk
-Caulk gun
-Caulk edge tool
-Hammer
-Hole filler
-Wet rag

Step 1: Measure your wall & decide how many boxes you want
-Height: 105.125
-Width: 130.75
-We chose to do 5 total boxes 

Step 2: Make the cuts

-Vertical trim: 10 pieces to make 5 boxes

  • We left these pieces at the original length which was 8ft and cut the ends to 45 degrees and centered it
  • The total height of the wall is 105.125 inches and the total length of each piece was 97.25 inches. So I subtracted the two and got 7.875 inches, divided by 2 and got 3.9375 which is equivalent to 3 15/16 inches. This would be the distance between the trim and box, and the ceiling and the box
  • 105.125 - 97.25= 7.875/2= 3.9375= 3 15/16

-Horizontal trim: also 10 pieces to make 5 boxes

  • We knew that we wanted 2 inches in between the boxes, so I multiplied the number of spaces in between the boxes (6), by 2 inches. I then subtracted that from the total width of the wall 130.75, which gave me the total width of trim. I then divided that number by 5, which is how many boxes we have, to get the width of each individual box.
  • 130.75- 2(6)= 118.75/5= 23.75 in= 23 3/4 
  • I then cut the 10 pieces of trim to the desired length and then cut the ends to 45 degrees so that they matched up with the horizontal pieces. 
  • I also cut a small block to 2 inches (the space in between the boxes) and another to 3 15/16 inches (the space between the box and the floor/ceiling to aid me in centering each box. 

Step 3: Nail pieces to the wall

  • The first box is the trickiest! Trying to get it centered right is most important because the rest of the boxes are based off it it.
  • I started on the far right and made a complete box, using a level and the blank pieces to make sure that the box was level and centered. 
  • I started on the bottom piece first, and then the right side based off the wall. 
  • Using a nail gun, I secured the bottom to the wall. 
  • Once starting on the right vertical piece, I first made sure the bottom was level, nailed it, then went up the trim, making sure it was level every quarter of the way up and putting a nail in. 
  • I then did the top piece, and the left side in the same manner. 
  • Once the first box was complete, I then nailed the bottom of every subsequent box to ensure proper spacing. I made a mistake with my initial measurements and had to redo the horizontal cuts, but once that was done, I was able to properly space each piece. 
  • I then followed the same steps for the rest of the boxes. The only box that was different was the middle wall, which had an outlet plug that cut in between the left side of the middle box. For that, I measured from the bottom of the box to the bottom of the outlet, 4 1/4 in, and from the top of the box, to the top of the outlet, 88 1/2. I cut a length of trim to match each measurement and finished the box.

Step 4: Caulk & touch up paint

  • I used DAP white paintable caulk. 
  • I started by caulking the lower corners to fill in the gaps between the pieces, and then on the inner and outer edges, wiping away excess with the edge tool and wet rag as we went. 
  • I also used hole filler to cover the nail holes. 
  • Once everything was dry, I painted over the caulk, filled holes, and any other blemishes that were made in the process.

I know that was SUPER detailed so please don't hesitate to message me or comment if you have any questions! Enjoy the DIY!

XOXO, Nico & Ashley Lynn Smith

No comments :

Post a Comment

Copyright Ashley Lynn Smith. Blog Design by Posh Pixels Co